We’ve all been there – a customer adds products to their cart, only to vanish into the online abyss without completing the purchase. Frustrating, right? Well, that’s what we call an abandoned cart. This is the cause of e-commerce brands annually losing $18 billion in revenue.
But fear not, because there are ways to turn those missed opportunities into successful sales! Here are our top tips on recovering abandoned shopping carts.
Abandoned cart email strategy: Best practices
One powerful tool is the abandoned cart email. A personalised message might be just what your customer needs to convince them to complete the purchase. Give them a gentle nudge to remind them of the benefits of the items they left behind with exclusive discounts or highlight the limited availability of the products to create a sense of urgency.
How to write abandoned cart emails
When it comes to crafting your abandoned cart emails, keep them friendly, concise and, most importantly, personalised. Let’s take a look at how your emails should be written:
- Start with a catchy and personalised subject line that sparks curiosity – they are 26% more likely to be opened.
- Use language that resonates with your brand and conveys a sense of urgency without being pushy.
- Include clear calls-to-action that make it easy for customers to return to their carts and complete the purchase.
- Include visuals so it’s quick and easy to digest.
- Use social proof so they can see what they’ll be missing out on.
- Add recommendations based on their abandoned products – perfect time to upsell.
- Offer an incentive – a deal they can’t miss!
When to send abandoned cart emails
Timing is key! Send your abandoned cart emails strategically. Aim for a balance – not too soon to seem intrusive, but not too late that the customer forgets about their cart. Consider sending the first email within 24 hours and follow up with a couple more spaced out over the next few days.
How to send abandoned cart emails
Choose an email platform that allows for automation to streamline your efforts. Ensure that your emails are mobile-friendly since many customers shop on their phones. Monitor the performance of your emails and adjust your strategy based on customer behaviour and feedback.
How successful are abandoned cart recovery emails?
They have proven to be highly effective in bringing customers back to complete their purchases. By implementing a thoughtful strategy, you can significantly boost your conversion rates and revenue.
Are abandoned cart emails GDPR compliant?
Now, let’s address the elephant in the room – GDPR compliance. Make sure your abandoned cart emails adhere to data protection regulations. Here are a few things you must do:
- Obtain explicit consent before sending marketing emails
- Provide an option for customers to opt-out if they wish
Other tools to recover abandoned carts
Although the most successful, email isn’t the only tool you can use to convince your customers to complete the transaction. Here are a few additional tips to include in your strategy:
- Pop-ups – Before the customer abandons their cart or leaves your website, you could use pop-ups to encourage them not to leave. Whether it’s a personalised message to make them feel valued or a limited-time offer to entice them to make the sale, you can test to see what works for your business.
- Notifications – If you have your customer’s number and, of course, consent, you can send notifications straight to their phone to remind them they have left something in their basket.
- Remarketing ads – This will take more time and effort (and is a bit more costly) but can be a less intrusive and effective way to keep your brand in your customer’s mind.
So, with these tips, you’re ready to turn missed opportunities into successful sales! Why not go one step further and prevent them from getting to this stage with our tips on how to reduce abandoned carts?
Ready To Start
What is recurring billing?
Recurring billing makes the process of repeated transactions so much more convenient for both the cu
Reduce declines with an acquirer-agnostic gateway
Declined transactions are more than frustrating, they can have a severe effect on your business, los